Service Specialist - Maintenance
Company: IRET Properties
Posted on: January 16, 2020
Service Specialist - Maintenance Technician (Cottonwood, Bismarck,
Learn About More About Our Cottonwood Property
9 Paid Holidays
20% Rent Discount for IRET rents
Volunteer Time Off each Quarter
Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits - 1st of Month Following Start
IRET Stock Purchase Plan
401k match up to 5% - Immediately!
Come join our growing team of Service Specialists!
About IRET: IRET was founded in Minot, North Dakota, in 1970. You
can find our corporate support offices located in Minneapolis,
Minnesota and in Minot North Dakota, along with onsite operations
in six states. From Denver, CO to Minneapolis, MN, our company
continues to grow throughout the Midwest, proudly providing
apartment homes to thousands of residents, extending our vision to
be the premier provider of apartment homes in vibrant communities
by focusing on integrity and serving others. IRET is built around
our employees. Our Mission and Vision unites our employees as one
Responsible for repairs of mechanical or aesthetic issues; general
building preventative maintenance; maintaining the environmental
conditions of spaces; maintaining accurate levels of inventory
related to the building's mechanical systems; know and perform
individual emergency procedures and duties as dictated by the site
emergency procedure manual.
Expected to follow instructions, understand established procedures
and comply with deadlines. Generally given guidance, but expected
to be self-directed once trained. May need assistance in
prioritizing duties, and setting deadlines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform these essential
* Complete minor and major repairs of mechanical or aesthetic
issues to ensure the property is optimally functional, presentable,
* Perform minor and major HVAC maintenance, such as replacing
motors and bearings.
* Change light bulbs, service flush valves, clean mechanical rooms,
and plunge toilets.
* Paint and/or wallpaper assigned areas and perform minor repairs
to applicable areas.
* Perform minor carpet repairs.
* Demonstrate proficiency and respond appropriately to the building
automation and security (including card access if applicable),
fire, life, and safety systems.
* Select and monitor service providers to ensure services delivered
are the most effective and efficient for the property.
* Perform general building preventative maintenance to ensure
equipment is safe and effective for use, and down time with
equipment meets or exceeds established specifications.
* Service and monitor the HVAC equipment.
* Maintain the environmental conditions of spaces to ensure the
tenant and common space environments are acceptable for optimum
* Perform preventative maintenance on:
* Doors, locks, and hardware
* Wall treatments
* Provide assistance to the Community Leader to ensure that tenant
improvements are accurate and address concerns with appropriate
contact, such as construction or tenant.
* Monitor and maintain tools.
* Perform assigned duties as prescribed in safety manuals.
* Respond to test situations accurately.
* Maintain sufficient technical and industry contacts and
* Participate in after hours on-call programs.
* Assist outside contractors with major inspections.
* Serve as a key contact between community leaders, operations
managers, general managers, and tenants.
* Apply current knowledge or devise creative solutions to
proactively resolve issues.
* Utilize any tools and/or processes implemented by the
organization to assure adherence to quality standards.
* Participate in capital improvements.
* Maintain operating logs and record temperatures, pressures, and
chemical level of heavy equipment such as chillers and boilers.
* Complete reports and perform various administrative duties to
positively support completion of activities and projects.
* Maintain accurate levels of inventory related to the building's
mechanical systems to ensure optimum levels of inventory are on
hand and readily accessible when needed.
* Purchase parts and supplies from vendors; review pricing for
competitive rates for parts, services, and supplies.
* Stock items when received.
* Clean up vacant areas.
* Remove debris from the building and grounds.
* Provide backup for Community Porter.
* Know and perform individual emergency procedures and duties as
dictated by the site emergency procedure manual and the safety
manual to ensure that actions promote the safety and security of
the employees, occupants, and structures, and correct actions are
demonstrated in test situations and actual emergencies.
* Promptly respond to all emergency situations, fire alarms, and
* Study and know the site-specific emergency manual(s).
* Assist tenant and emergency personnel in swift and careful
evacuations when appropriate.
* Communicates regularly with management, vendors, equipment
repair, maintenance, and tenants for day-to-day operational
* Participate in continuous improvement/quality initiatives and
identify improvements to, and/or develop new, products, services,
or processes to result in the discovery of more efficient and
effective methods and/or new offerings.
* May assist with groundskeeping duties such as mowing, weed
control, tree/shrub trimming, depending on the property and
* May be responsible for snow removal such as shoveling snow and
de-icing walkways, etc, depending on the property and need.
* Assist and/or back up coworkers.
Responsibilities include 60% property maintenance, 25% community
cleaning, 10% customer service, and 5% business administration.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
If expected to carry a mobile phone, eligible for a monthly
reimbursement or IRET issued phone, according to company policy.
May have access to a shared company vehicle. Eligible for mileage
reimbursement, according to company policy, when no IRET owned
vehicle is available.
Some local travel may be required.
Education & Experience
* Required: High School Diploma, or equivalent. 2+ years of
previous maintenance experience.
* Preferred: Trade school education.
* Certifications and/or Licenses: Have or willing to attain EPA,
CPO, and/or boiler operator's license as required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
* Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as
safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, MSDS sheets,
and procedural manuals. Ability to communicate effectively with
supervisor, tenants and vendors.
* Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide. Calculate figures and amounts such as proportions,
percentages, area, ratios, circumference, and volume.
* Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
* Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to efficiently use and navigate on the internet and
use web based timekeeping software. Experience with work order
IRET is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled
Keywords: IRET Properties, Bismarck , Service Specialist - Maintenance, Professions , Bismarck, North Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!